Hampshire County Rail Trails Photo and Video Contest (deadline passed)
The Friends of Northampton Trails and Greenways (FNTG) is sponsoring a photo and video contest of images and stories that highlight the special quality of our regional rail trail network. We encourage you to submit entries that best capture the sense of these trails and the people who use them, throughout all four seasons. Entries should express the scenic, recreational, fitness, transportation, creative, ecological or historical nature of the trails in Hampshire County. Videos that inspire people to use the trails for the first time or educate about trail use and bike safety are especially encouraged.
Winners will be decided in September 2012, and more than $1,500 in cash prizes will be awarded. Please contact Julia Riseman at jriseman AT mac.com for questions or more information.
The Friends of Northampton Trails and Greenways, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit volunteer organization that supports the expanding network of rail-trails in Northampton, Massachusetts.
FNTG Photo and Video Contest Rules
• There is no cost to enter or to win. This contest is open to U.S. residents, all ages. This contest is void where prohibited by law.
• This contest is sponsored by the Friends of Northampton Trails and Greenways, Incorporated (FNTG). FNTG reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the contest if necessary for any reason, including without limitation technical reasons such as computer viruses, bugs, tampering or any other technical failures.
• The contest is open to amateurs and professionals. Professionals are defined as those who make more than half their income from photography or video production. Officers of FNTG and their first-degree family members are prohibited from entering this contest.
• Entries must be submitted by midnight, September 10th, 2012.
• The Entrant is deemed to be the holder of the established email account associated with the entry.
• FNTG assumes no liability for lost, late, illegible, incomplete, or misdirected entries or for any problem with internet connection or technical problems that might hinder the ability of any person to enter the contest.
• Photographs and videos must be taken on, from, of, or near the rail trails in Hampshire County (see map on the FNTG website for area trails).
• Finalists will be selected by FNTG, and winners will be determined by a panel of community judges that includes professional photographers, videographers and community members.
• Winning photos and videos will be shown at a public viewing and awards ceremony. The winner in each category will receive $150, second place $75, and third place $25.
• Photos and videos will be judged in the following categories: Professional, Amateur, and Youth. Additional prizes for Best Safety and Best Tourism videos will be offered.
• Photographic entries can be color or black and white. Photos (ideally 8”x10”) should be submitted to Della Penna Trailside Realty (14 Strong Avenue, Northampton) or mailed to FNTG at PO Box 60643, Florence, MA 01062-0643. Please include the photographer’s name, phone number and email address on the back of the photo, in addition to a completed submission form (click HERE for the downloadable form). As an alternative photos can be emailed to fntg.net AT gmail.com, but a scanned copy of the signed submission form must be included or sent separate to the PO Box above.
• If photographs or videos contain people, the people shown must sign a model release form (click HERE for the downloadable form).
• You must be originator and owner of copyright on materials submitted, and the inclusion in videos of any music, text, or other elements to which you do not hold copyright must be with permission of the copyright holder. Images must not have been digitally altered in any way other than necessary cropping, unless the changes have been specifically identified.
• Submitters retain copyright of their photographs and videos. By entering this contest, you agree to allow the submitted photograph or video, along with your name and any caption FNTG deems necessary to be publically displayed royalty-free at Trailside Gallery and posted on-line at the FNTG website at the FNTG’s discretion. At the Trailside Gallery and on-line, your work will be credited to you as the creator of the work. FNTG agrees not to put up for sale copies of the work and to refer all inquiries about purchase to you, the submitter.
• Videos should be uploaded to Youtube, with a submission form submitted to Della Penna Trailside Realty (14 Strong Avenue, Northampton) or mailed to FNTG at PO Box 60643, Florence, MA 01062-0643. Prize winners that are selected must provide electronic video files in one of the following file formats: .mpg, .mpeg, .avi, .divx, .mp4, .flv, .wmv, .rm, .mov, .asf, .swf. Videos must not be longer than five minutes in length and must be 500 MB or less (100 MB or less recommended).
• Photographs will not be returned unless you include a self-addressed, stamped envelope with your submission, or you arrange to pick-up your submission in advance. Photographs that are not retrieved within 6 months will be donated to charity or destroyed.
• No more than three photos and three videos may be submitted by one individual.
Thanks to our sponsors (Della Penna’s Trailside Realty, Trailside Gallery, Valley Advocate, Alexis Design, Friends of the Manhan Rail Trail, Eastmont Custom Framing, Northampton Community TV, Pivot Media and MassBike/Pioneer Valley) for their support.
Last updated 10/30/2012